If you are heading out for a drive on the port side of the harbour, then stop at Carey's Bay Hotel.
A short 10 minute walk from Carey's Bay is Port Chalmers. Known as Koputai (the place of high tides) to early settlers Port Chalmers was chosen as the Scottish Settlement of New Edinburgh in 1844. It has been the focus of Otago Harbour's maritime history. Tuckett's corner at the foot of George Street is the site where the deed of purchase of the Otago Block was signed in 1844 by Frederick Tuckett, Principal Surveyor of the New Zealand Company, and southern Maori chiefs. The name was changed to Port Chalmers after the first wave of official settlers arrived, naming the port after Dr Thomas Chalmers who lead the disruption in the Scottish Presbyterian Church.
As a result of the Otago gold rush, Port Chalmers grew to be the third largest port in all of Australasia. Major shipbuilding and marine engineering facilities grew in the port, including a dry dock.
In the Port precincts there is a number of fine heritage buildings, including the Town Hall (1889), Port Chalmers Regional Museum in the former post office building, Port Chalmers Hotel (1875) and Chicks Hotel (1876).
Significant events such as the first shipment of frozen meat sent to London in 1882 are associated with the port as is the departure of Robert Scott's expedition to the south Pole on board the Terra Nova in 1910.
Today Port Chalmers is a busy container port servicing the lower South Island and a cruise ship destination.